FDOT District Four - Palm Beach Header Image

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the following questions for their answers or scroll down the page to see the complete list of answers.

Traffic information:

How do I get timely and accurate traffic information before I leave home or when I am out and about?

For around–the-clock, real-time traffic information within the tri-county area (Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade Counties), call 511. Voice prompts will guide you through to the roadway(s) in which you are interested and supply information on traffic conditions as they truly are. This information is also available on-line at http://www.fl511.com.

Does FDOT have a Web site which allows us to view pictures of road conditions?

Palm Beach County has an Interim Traffic Management System that consists of traffic cameras located along I-95 and variable message boards located throughout the county. The staff is in constant contact with FDOT, 511, PB County Emergency Management, FHP and other local authorities. To learn more or to view live images of traffic conditions on I-95, visit their Web site at http://www.smartsunguide.com/.

Damage claims:

What do I do if construction activities, vehicles or materials damage my car?

The very first thing you must obtain is a police report. This assists with the legitimacy of the claim. When a roadway is under construction, the contractor indemnifies the state from responsibility for any such claims. The next course of action is to contact the contractor, it is important to know that most contracting companies require a formal submission from the claimant that includes, a copy of the police report, location and description of the incident, any pictures you may have of the damage or of whatever may have caused the damage, and a cost estimate for repairs. While these requirements may vary from contractor to contractor, it is advisable to supply as much information as possible. This office cannot control which claims are honored and which are not; but we will be glad to clarify any of the information provided.

What do I do if construction activities, vehicles or materials damage my home or property?

It is best to contact this office. We will forward the complaint to the Construction Management Team as well as to the contractor. You may contact the contractor directly, however, we suggest that that the claim be in writing and a copy forwarded to this office for our files. As with vehicle damage claims, this office cannot control which claims are honored and which are not; but we will be glad to clarify any of the information provided.

General Information:

Why is there so much construction all at once in Palm Beach County?

It boils down to two things: growth and funding. Based on information compiled by the Palm Beach Metropolitan Planning Organization, the population of Palm Beach County increased by some 29,431 persons between 2002 and 2003, that is almost 2,500 people per month! Palm Beach County is also the largest County east of the Mississippi, consisting of 2,023 square miles.
(To view this data, visit http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/MPO/census.html)

How can I find out how many vehicles per day certain roads carry?

You can see traffic counts and locations by visiting http://www.dot.state.fl.us/planning/ and selecting ‘traffic data’.

Tell me about the Road Ranger Service in Palm Beach County.

FDOT District Four has several Road Ranger service patrol operations to assist stranded motorists. Road Ranger services are available on I-95 throughout Broward and Palm Beach counties and the Treasure Coast, seven days per week, 24 hours a day. Road Ranger drivers are able to assist with minor repairs and to provide gas, diesel fuel and water. All services are free of charge. While Road Rangers cannot be contacted directly, during operating hours they should be able to locate you within 15 to 30 minutes unless they are detained because of an emergency situation such as a crash. When stranded along the highway, stay inside your vehicle and wait for help to arrive. If you have a cell phone, you can dial *FHP for assistance.

How do I report incidents, dangerous driver or road debris?

Use your cellular phone; dial *FHP (*347) to reach the Florida Highway Patrol station nearest you.

Florida Department of Transportation
Florida Department of Transportation
FDOT District Four Youtube
Kids Zone